Pages

7/16/11

Annoying Children


Goldielocks is sort of the ultimate self-entitled brat.
You think kids today are rude and inconsiderate?
Obviously this is an ongoing problem, and Goldie is here to prove it.

I can only assume that Goldielocks exists because of parents who wanted their kids to be respectful of the neighbors and basically ended up threatening their children with voracious, porridge loving bears who would settle for dining on small children if angered.

Recent experience has shown me that the need for these types of stories/threats is still in existence.

I went to see the final Harry Potter flick last night.  The theater was packed, of course, and I ended up sitting next to a family of two million, three thousand of which were children.  I was prepared to put up with a little whispering, but apparently this was a foolish thought.

There was no little whispering. There was talking. A running commentary of the movie from children not old enough to see it. "There's Harry. He's sad.", "Neville! She's getting Neville!", "I bet they're french kissing."
All this was accompanied by the flash of one fidgety child's L.A. Lights sneakers.

It took all the restraint I had not to lean over and inform the children that when they were in their own living room they could talk as loud as they pleased, but not in the theater. My friend wanted to tell their parents that they owed us $8.50 for the large portions of the movie we couldn't hear.

So when I have kids I'm telling them the story of Goldielocks, the girl who was obnoxious at the theater and was eaten by the bears sitting behind her. 

Have you encountered any wretched children recently? did you do anything about it, or suffer in silence?

6 comments:

  1. great story
    sarah
    http://sarahrakeelia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. QUOTE:
    The theater was packed, of course, and I ended up sitting next to a family of two million, three thousand of which were children. I was prepared to put up with a little whispering, but apparently this was a foolish thought.

    That's precisely why I do not go on opening nights unless I go to the middle-of-the-night showing and have the next day off work! I typically wait a week or two, just to avoid the talking, squealing, chair-kicking menaces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fairy, yes, I should have known better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great message from goldielocks, indeed. i will probably say the same thing to my children. i'm sorry for unhappy Harry Potter night you had.
    lovely art as always :)

    dita
    Etsy Blog Team
    http://handmadenest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! These stories/threats are very much needed!

    http://mandycrandell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! This is one reason why the drive-in is superior to all other movie venues. ;)

    http://pillowsophi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete